Russia Hit By Record Drone Barrage: Over 800 Ukrainian Drones Unleashed In One Night, 6 Killed

Europe

Russia Hit By Record Drone Barrage: Over 800 Ukrainian Drones Unleashed In One Night, 6 Killed

The attack primarily targeted the Moscow area and included a strike on a logistics center associated with the Wildberries e-commerce company, which Ukraine claims supports the military

Russia Ukraine Attack GIF

A video showing the Ukrainian attack on Russia.

Russia says it has shot down or neutralised more than 800 Ukrainian drones in one of the largest aerial attacks on Russian territory since the war began. At least six people were killed, according to Russian authorities, with drones reported over 17 regions, mainly in southern and western Russia.

Russia’s state-run TASS news agency described the attack as the largest Ukrainian drone assault of the year. It said many of the drones targeted the Moscow area, where Russia’s political and economic elite are based.

Moscow regional governor Andrey Vorobiev said air defence and electronic warfare units had shot down or neutralised 187 drones over the region. An 83-year-old man was killed in a drone attack elsewhere in the Moscow region, Vorobiev said.

Geolocated footage showed a large fire at a warehouse belonging to Wildberries, a Russian e-commerce company often compared with Amazon. Vorobiev said nobody was injured at the warehouse.

The Ukrainian military said the facility covered 250,000 sq m and was one of the company’s largest logistics centres.

Ukraine has repeatedly targeted Wildberries warehouses, claiming the company handles supplies for Russia’s military. Kyiv says it has struck seven of the company’s 10 largest logistics centres.

Wildberries has announced plans to build new warehousing facilities in neighbouring Kazakhstan.

Defence Industry Facility Hit

Five people were killed in Russia’s southern Rostov region, according to its governor. The Ukrainian military said a defence-industrial complex facility producing solid rocket propellant for Russian weapons was hit in the attack.

Russia’s Defence Ministry said drones had been intercepted over 17 regions, although it did not provide a full breakdown of the locations. There were also reports of an attack on a Greek oil tanker near Russia’s Black Sea port of Novorossiysk.

Maritime risk management company Marisks said the tanker was hit twice while positioned at a buoy mooring and that Ukraine was likely responsible.

Ukraine Russia Attack

Smoke billows from the burning Wildberries warehouses following a Ukrainian drone attack on Saturday.

The weapon used, the extent of the damage, the condition of the crew and the status of the cargo remained unclear.

Russian Strikes Continue Across Ukraine

At the same time, Russia continued its attacks on Ukrainian cities. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said six people were wounded in strikes on Kyiv early on Sunday.

A book market in the capital was among the sites hit.

The central Ukrainian cities of Kremenchuk and Kryvyi Rih were also struck by ballistic missiles, Zelenskyy said. Two people were killed in Kryvyi Rih and another was killed in Sumy in northern Ukraine, he added.

ArcelorMittal, which operates a steel plant in Kryvyi Rih, said 13 employees were injured and one person was killed. Search and rescue operations were continuing.

Ukraine’s Air Force said it had failed to intercept any of the ballistic missiles fired overnight, highlighting what Kyiv says is a shortage of air-defence interceptors.

Zelenskyy said Russia had launched more than 1,550 attack drones, almost 1,560 guided aerial bombs and 62 missiles against Ukraine over the past week. “European interceptors cannot simply be allowed to sit in storage. Lives need to be protected. Russia must be stopped,” he said.

Ukraine Russia Attack 2

Firefighters work at a site of a book market hit by a Russian missile strike in Kyiv region on Saturday.

Drone Shot Down over Romania

Elsewhere, Romania’s Defence Ministry said a drone had been shot down after entering its airspace. The drone was intercepted by a Spanish F-18 fighter jet operating as part of a NATO air-policing mission, the ministry said.

It was the fourth drone to have been shot down over Romania this year.

Romanian radars detected the drone entering the country from neighbouring Moldova, officials said. Fragments appeared to have fallen in an uninhabited area between two villages.

In July, Romanian F-16 fighter jets shot down three Russian drones that had entered the country’s airspace. Romania has reported dozens of such incursions since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine more than four years ago.

Latest News

Rounak Bagchi
Rounak Bagchi author

Rounak is a journalist with over 7 years of experience covering geopolitical and international affairs. He has a keen interest in research and explain… View More

End of Article
Subscribe to our daily Newsletter!


Original source: https://www.timesnownews.com/latest-news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *