Dan Driscoll Out? Army Secretary Expected to Leave Amid Pete Hegseth Clash
- Edited by: Rounak Bagchi
- Updated Aug 22, 2026, 02:38 IST
Tensions began in early 2025 over authority issues, worsened after Driscoll’s support for Gen George during a congressional hearing, and involved disagreements over personnel decisions
There have been reports of tensions between Pete Hegseth (left) and Dan Driscoll. (Photos: X)
US Army Secretary Dan Driscoll is expected to leave his post by the end of the year, or possibly sooner, amid months of tensions with Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal. His departure would leave the Army without a Senate-confirmed secretary.
The Army has also been without a Senate-confirmed chief of staff since April, when Hegseth dismissed Gen Randy George without giving a public explanation. President Donald Trump has not nominated a replacement. Gen Christopher LaNeve, the Army vice chief of staff and a former senior military aide to Hegseth, is serving as acting chief of staff.
Tensions between Driscoll and Hegseth reportedly emerged early in 2025 over authority and decision-making. Soon after Driscoll began his role at the Pentagon, he proposed arranging a meeting for President Trump and Vice-President JD Vance to meet soldiers and discuss Army reforms.
Hegseth objected, telling Driscoll that he was in charge and ordering him to stay in his lane, according to people familiar with the encounter. The meeting ended abruptly.
The disagreement was followed by further tensions over personnel decisions, promotions and internal investigations, according to people familiar with the matter.
The relationship became more public after Gen George was dismissed on 2 April.
During a congressional hearing, Driscoll spoke positively about the former Army chief. “I, too, love Gen. George,” he told lawmakers, describing him as “an amazing, transformational leader”. Driscoll later said: “There is no person who has more respect for General George and his 42 years of service, his Purple Heart, his wife, Patty, their grandkids, their kids. I adore them.”
Gen George was reportedly dismissed by Hegseth in a brief telephone call without prior notice.
Retired Rear Adm Mark Montgomery criticised the decision. “Effectively stripping the Army of a senior leader in a wartime environment, while trying to undergo transformation procurement-wise, I couldn’t think of two things I’d rather not do than that,” he said.
The White House has said Hegseth continues to have President Trump’s confidence, while also praising Driscoll. “President Trump has effectively restored a focus on readiness and lethality across our military with the help of leaders like Secretary Hegseth and Secretary Driscoll,” White House spokeswoman Anna Kelly said.
Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said Hegseth “maintains excellent working relationships with the secretaries of every military service branch, including Army Secretary Dan Driscoll.”
The Pentagon has also faced reports of internal disagreements involving leaked classified information, personnel removals and senior Army leadership linked to former Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen Mark Milley.
Driscoll has previously rejected suggestions that he planned to leave his post. “Serving under President Trump has been the honour of a lifetime and I remain laser focused on providing America with the strongest land fighting force the world has ever seen,” he said. “I have no plans to depart or resign as the Secretary of the Army.”
Original source: https://www.timesnownews.com/latest-news