Jharkhand Student Protest: CM Hemant Soren Cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams; Hunger Strike Ends – What’s Next?
- Edited by: Anurag Kumar
- Updated Aug 18, 2026, 08:39 IST
Hemant Soren’s government has cancelled the JSSC-CGL and all TDPL-conducted exams after 24 days of protests. But student leaders say the struggle isn’t over, with demands for a CBI probe and further examination reforms still pending.
Jharkhand CM Hemant Soren along with cabinet ministers holds a press conference after cabinet decided to cancel Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level examination.
Ranchi: Jharkhand’s 24-day student agitation has reached a major turning point, with Chief Minister Hemant Soren’s government cancelling the JSSC-CGL examination and all examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL).
The decision, announced after a special Cabinet meeting on Monday, prompted student leaders Devendra Nath Mahto, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti to end their hunger strikes.
But the protest’s immediate end does not mean the larger examination row is over.
Student leaders have made it clear that they now want the government to follow through on its promises, investigate alleged irregularities and put in place a system that prevents paper leaks and other examination-related problems.
Jharkhan Government Agrees To Cancel Exams
Soren announced that the JSSC-CGL examination would be cancelled along with all examinations conducted by TDPL.
The government also decided to cancel the results published and selections made through TDPL-conducted examinations.
“Today, the Cabinet decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examinations as well,” Soren said.
The Chief Minister also announced a comprehensive inquiry into alleged irregularities in examinations conducted since 2014.
The JPSC Civil Services examinations will be examined under the supervision of a retired judge, while the CID has been directed to look into all JPSC examinations conducted from 2014 onwards.
Soren said the SIT and CID were already investigating the allegations and that several “shocking facts” had emerged.
Why Are Students Still Not Calling It A Complete Victory?
While welcoming the government’s decisions, student leaders have stressed that several issues remain unresolved.
Mahto thanked the government, students, parents, media and police administration for supporting the movement, but said the students would continue to push for reforms.
“We need a system where the government guarantees that paper leaks and irregularities will never happen again in the future; we need a guarantee of such a system,” he said.
Mahto added that the students would support the ongoing investigation and reform process.
“While our demands have been met, we cannot say we are fully satisfied yet, as a long battle still lies ahead,” Mahto said.
Another student leader, Piyush Kumar, described the government’s decision as only the beginning.
“Our demands have not yet been fully met; this is merely the first step and the first celebration–there is more to come,” he said.
What Are The Students Demanding Now?
The next phase of the movement is likely to focus on accountability and examination reforms.
Students are still demanding a CBI investigation into the alleged irregularities and a decision on the “’11th to 13th’ issue”, according to Kumar.
“The struggle will continue; we aren’t going anywhere,” he said.
The students are also seeking stronger safeguards against paper leaks and irregularities, with Mahato making clear that cancellation of examinations alone will not resolve the underlying concerns.
The government has promised a wider probe into examination-related irregularities.
Soren said the JPSC Civil Services examination inquiry would be conducted under the supervision of a retired judge.
The CID has also been directed to examine JPSC examinations conducted from 2014 to the present.
Soren said some people appointed through the JPSC had already been arrested in connection with alleged examination irregularities.
The key question now is whether these investigations lead to specific findings, accountability and action against those found responsible.
What About Examination Reforms?
The government has also indicated that the next phase will involve structural changes to the examination system.
Soren said examination procedures would be strengthened and further reforms introduced.
A new portal has been launched for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions. A committee headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal will work with experts and institutions on the proposed reforms.
For the students, however, the effectiveness of these measures will depend on how quickly they translate into safeguards on the ground.
What Happens To The Protest Now?
For now, the immediate hunger strikes have ended and students celebrated at Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi after the government accepted some of their demands.
But student leaders have stopped short of declaring the wider struggle over.
The government’s cancellation orders, the promised investigations, the proposed reforms and the pending demands for a CBI probe will now determine the next phase of the Jharkhand examination row.
Original source: https://www.timesnownews.com/lifestyle