US-Iran War Live Updates: Tehran threatens Hormuz offensive as peace deal deadline lapses

US-Iran War Live Updates: Tehran threatens Hormuz offensive as peace deal deadline lapses

By CNBCTV18.com  August 18, 2026, 10:00:00 AM IST (Updated)

The Trump administration has signalled that it is prepared to wait. Energy Secretary Chris Wright said Washington was playing the “long game”. Brent settled near $91 a barrel on Monday, while WTI traded above $85. Follow along for the latest on West Asia war.

US-Iran War Live Updates: Tehran threatens Hormuz offensive as peace deal deadline lapses
US-Iran War Live Updates: Iran has threatened to escalate its military posture in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider region after a 60-day window for reaching a permanent peace agreement expired without a breakthrough. A senior Iranian official told Reuters that Tehran could launch a “timely and precise” attack to break the US naval blockade if diplomacy failed.

Both Washington and Tehran ruled out extending the interim agreement.

“They want to make a deal, but they’re not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary,” US President Donald Trump said. He had also said that Iran “should put up a white flag of surrender”.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei, meanwhile, said the deadline was irrelevant because “the US violated the understanding from the very beginning” and formal negotiations never began.

The June agreement, which promised an end to military operations, sanctions and nuclear negotiations, the removal of the US blockade and the reopening of Hormuz, has largely unravelled.

The Trump administration has signalled that it is prepared to wait. Energy Secretary Chris Wright said Washington was playing the “long game”, while envoy Jared Kushner said Trump would be “patient on a deal”, even as he suggested backchannel communication remained active.

As always, oil markets reflected the sentiment: Brent settled near $91 a barrel on Monday, while WTI traded above $85. Follow our live coverage for the latest developments.

Aug 18, 2026 10:00 AM IST

US-Iran War Live Updates: Iran’s annual inflation hits 66% amid sanctions and war costs

Iran’s annual inflation reached 66%, while food and beverage prices surged 128.1% year-on-year in July, ILNA reported, citing official data.

Point-to-point inflation stood at 87.9%, with at least eight staples more than doubling in price.

Aug 18, 2026 9:38 AM IST

US-Iran War Live Updates: Trump’s approval rating falls to the term’s lowest

US President Donald Trump’s approval rating has fallen to 33%, the lowest of his current presidency, as most Americans worry the war with Iran will drag on, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed.

About 64% disapproved of his performance.

Trump’s popularity has declined amid the prolonged conflict, which has disrupted global oil trade and driven up US gasoline prices ahead of November’s midterm elections.

Aug 18, 2026 9:08 AM IST

US-Iran War Live Updates: Houthis claim attack on Saudi military ship and escorts in Red Sea

Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis said they targeted a Saudi military ship and four escort vessels near the Red Sea port of Mocha with missiles on Monday.

Sources in Yemen’s internationally recognised government told Reuters that six missiles struck a ship near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, but said the vessel had been under maintenance for over a year and was believed to be empty.

Aug 18, 2026 8:49 AM IST

US-Iran War Live Updates: Crude oil rises with no resolution in sight

Crude oil prices climbed on Tuesday as Iran threatened to adopt a “fully offensive” posture and Washington ruled out extending the interim ceasefire, raising fears of further disruption in the Strait of Hormuz.

Brent crude rose to $91.14 a barrel, while US West Texas Intermediate climbed to $85.04—both reaching their highest levels since late July.

Shipping through Hormuz has slowed sharply amid tanker attacks and the breakdown of diplomatic efforts.

oil

Aug 18, 2026 8:27 AM IST

US-Iran War Live Updates: Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as US peace efforts stall

Iran is preparing to adopt a “fully offensive” military posture after efforts to negotiate a permanent end to the war with the US stalled, a senior Iranian official told Reuters.

“Iranian entities must be prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and wider region,” the official said. Tehran could launch a “timely and precise” attack to break the US naval blockade if diplomacy fails, the official added. The warning came as Washington ruled out extending the interim ceasefire agreement.

Aug 18, 2026 8:01 AM IST

US-Iran War Live Updates: Good morning!

Good morning and welcome back to our live coverage of the war in West Asia.


Original source: https://www.cnbctv18.com/entertainment/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *